Short version: Finished the Three Rivers Cruise Permanent in 10:46 to complete my second R-12. Au Revoir!
Long version, below:
I have been off to Europe for darn near three weeks, but I had some unfinished business over in Randonneuring land before I could leave: my July 200k ride. I started rather late (around 8.45 on a day that promised to be hot. (I should have left early and maximized my time in the cooler temperatures).
Start to Marblemount
- I stopped in Darrington for food and water, and met Andrew, a Coloradoan bicycle touring from Steamboat Springs, and spoke to him for 20+ minutes.
- Nice tailwind on Highway 530.
- Lots of traffic on Highway 20. Hhhmmn...
- I got to Marblemount in 5 hours. Maybe I can finish this ride in 10 hours or so?
Marblemount to Concrete
- Headwind: not bad. Heat: not so good.
- Crawled up the not-so-steep climb to Rockport State Park, and took refuge in the shade.
- Regrouped by getting more water at the State Park.
- Stopped at the convenience store in Concrete before the turn, and chatted with some teenagers on bikes. It's always great to stun the young crowd. (The bathroom was disgusting. Would not recommend this store).
- Chip-seal on South Skagit Highway as nasty as ever. The heat was bad. Traffic: low.
- Ran out of water just past the information control, and knocked on a house to get some water. A very helpful lady tied up her dog and gave me bottled water. Thanks very much!
- Rested in the shade a little bit and then took off for Clear Lake.
- Getting off the chip-seal was awesome...
- Stopped at the store in Clear Lake to get some more water, and some Ice Cream.
Clear Lake to Finish
- Had a bit of a cross-wind but felt good on the rollers of Highway 9.
- Stopped once at the bar near the roundabout to get some water and Ice Cream. Chatted with the locals drinking, who warned me that Highway 9 was a bad road for bicyclists. I headed out after thanking them for their warnings.
- Stopped again a little while later to use a porta-potty on a construction site, after getting permission.
- Finished in around 10:45.
- Yaaay! R-12 #2.